Thursday, April 26, 2012

President Obama Speaks on Preventing Mass Atrocities

geoffff

I keep my own counsel about who should be the American president in an election year. This is because I am a foreigner and out of respect for the American people. But like foreigners everywhere I am watching closely

This speech by President Obama at the US Memorial Holocaust Museum is getting the attention of Australian Jewry today.

A moving introduction by Elie Wiesel.

Every unspeakable horror in history was unthinkable before it happened.



Crossposted Geoffff's Joint, Bar and Grill

2 comments:

  1. Y'know, geoffff, I do not see why you would need to remain silent on your preferences in American politics.

    Any American election is, in a sense, a discussion among Americans... well, really, a shouting match among Americans!... but that doesn't mean that non-American voices are irrelevant.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this to avoid hypocrisy. Everyone in the West seems to have an opinion on who should be US president, the US electoral system, the state of US democracy, the economy ... often it masks an insipid anti-Americanism and everything ugly that entails. Cowardice, parochialism, supercilious condescension, head spinnig moral equivalence, above all hypocrisy ... It matters nothing at all they are not in a position to know what they are talking about.

    I am a fervent opponent of capital punishment. It chills me to the bones but I kept quiet about it whenever I was in the US and especially in states like Texas or Florida --- taking the view that in liberal democracies, what people do in their own country is their business. Nothing on the planet is more disgusting than some European leftie luvvie like George Galloway or whatever denouncing the US on this and then going on Press TV to celebrate the Iranian regime.

    But to hell with it. Rules are meant to be broken, even your own. If I was an American I wouldn't vote for Obama either.

    ReplyDelete